If you love watching sports or if you’re an athlete yourself, you’re probably aware of the existence of mouth guards. Mouthguards are a crucial part of various athletic activities, and their main goal is to protect your pearly whites, gums, and jaws from injuries.
Unfortunately, no one is exempt from mouth injuries, and anyone can experience these issues, even when doing simple activities, such as jogging. For this reason, wearing mouthguards is vital to ensure that you protect your teeth while you execute certain activities.
Of course, your mouthguard must be snug up against your teeth to ensure maximum protection. That’s why it’s important to have custom mouthguards made by an established dentist to ensure that you protect your mouth at all costs.
If you’re still iffy about using mouthguards, keep reading. In this article, we’ll dig deeper into the benefits of wearing mouthguards.
What are the Most Common Sports-Related Injuries?
- Trauma to the Teeth: Using mouthguards helps absorb the shock and force of blows to the face. With this, you prevent your teeth from getting broken or knocked out;
- Brain Injuries/Concussions: Another way mouthguards protect athletes is that it helps absorb the shock caused by a blow to the jaw that often affects the brain or causes concussions;
- Soft Tissues Issues: Your lip, tongue, gums, and inner cheeks are protected by your mouthguard from strong impact;
- Protect Braces: If you’re wearing braces, you may experience damage or injuries caused by this. For this reason, mouthguards can help protect you from sustaining any injuries in your jaws and teeth, even with braces on.
Why Should I Use Mouthguards?
- They Serve as a Barrier: If you clench or grind your teeth at night, it may be ideal for wearing a mouthguard when you go to bed. Having a custom mouthguard will help create a barrier between your upper and lower teeth to prevent wear and tear and reduce tension in your jaw.
- Help Your Jaw Muscles Recover Faster: Those with TMJ can benefit from wearing a mouthguard at night. This is because it helps correct the positioning of your jaw, allowing it to rest and recover, stabilizing your bite, and preventing locking.
- Mouthguards Reduce the Sports-Related Dental Injuries: It’s ideal for wearing a mouthguard while playing sports to help protect your teeth from absorbing impact, which could damage your teeth and jaw. This can help minimize the risk of broken teeth, jaws, and more.
- Encourages Clear Airways: For those with sleep apnea, you’d be happy to know that mouthguards help improve sleep and breathing throughout the night. With their help, they can prevent the tongue from falling to the throat, keeping your airways clear and open.
The Bottom Line: Have a Mouthguard Made Just For You
Seeing as mouthguards are an important part of your athletic performance and lifestyle, it’s a good idea to have a custom mouthguard made just for you. Of course, it’s worth going to a credible cosmetic dentist to see if this option fits you and so you can get a mouthguard that would protect your teeth, gums, tongue, and jaw in the field.
How Can We Help You?
If you’re looking to have a mouthguard made for yourself, you’ve come to the right place because Enamel Dental Studio offers custom mouthguards in Brisbane. Enamel Dental Studio is an experienced Springwood dental facility that offers high-quality dental services, cosmetic dentistry, and kids dental. Book an appointment with us today!